Sunday, 26 January 2014

Distress Ink Tutorial and Pens v Ink

Hey Lovelies, I just wanted to pop back here this morning and share a couple of things with you. I made a colouring Tutorial with Emma one of the new Saturated Canary Images in Rubber available at LDRS. I thought it would be good to use this image as she has beautiful curly hair, which can feel like its a challenge to colour to some. This one is super easy, and I have done the whole image in one video.



Since then I have been asked about the differences in Distress Inks and Distress Pens. I thought I would make up a new colour chart, and share it here so you can see side by side to see the differences.


I have used Ink on the left and Ink Pens on the right. I wanted to see the colour as you blend out, as some have beautiful tones within as you blend on the paper that comes out. For example Chipped Sapphire and Shaded Lilac have a lovely pink tone.

The biggest difference is the green tone that the pens have in the more earth colours, so Tea Dye, Brushed Corduroy are very noticeably green in the pen. Which is why I use the ink for hair rather than the pens. The little heart at the bottom, in case your wondering, is just to show me the line colour on the fine tip. I do like to use that at the end to give a very dark colour, so it helps to see.

If your just starting to get into ink colouring I would recommend making up a chart like this especially with the pens and reinkers differences. Also using your fav watercolour paper as you can find differences in paper to. This is coloured on Langton Hot press, my fav paper. You can find the colour chart I used here

I was sent some of Tim Holtz watercolor paper, which has a heavy grain in it, I have not yet had a play with it, but I will have a go next week - I will let you know how it goes and share it later :)

Hope that has been helpful. Take care all xx

5 comments:

Christine L said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! Absolutely wonderful tutorial - I've watched over and over and can only hope that my DI colouring will be this good one day! Also have printed out the chart too... very helpful!

Hugs
Christine x

The Scrapbooking Queen said...

Hello so glad I finally got to watch you from beginning to end. My distress pens arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to try your techniques. Royal Hugs The Scrapbooking Queen

The Scrapbooking Queen said...

So thrilled to finally see you color from start to finish. My Distress Pens come tomorrow can't wait to try your Techniques. Royal Hugs The Scrapbooking Queen

Kelly Neis said...

Thank you so much for the information. I will look forward to his paper review too. Awesome Jenny!
xxkelly

caroline said...

Wow great tutorial, i don't have distress pens, i have promarkers but really enjoyed watching you blend and bring the picture together, thank you
Caroline x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...